Thursday, January 22, 2015

The 'Who is the Boss' Conundrum

The kid is at her chattiest during dinner, when I say dinner that includes making dinner too. From the time we get home we put together dinner in approximately 60 mins, sometimes 90 mins (when 'you know who' offers to cook, not Voldemort). There's none of the sitting down to relax and have my evening chai stuff. It's apron on!

We have a no TV, no laptop, basically a gadget free time on weekdays, only until the kid is asleep of course.
It's a different thing that on weekends gadget control levels are hitting subzero and the kid is wired on playdoh videos, peppa pig videos and have you come across these 'egg' videos? There's this kid or teenager, who continuously opens these toy eggs and shows us what's inside. I think its absolutely disgusting!
The 5 year old in our house is banned from watching them and I just know when she's trying to get a peek at one of those. She goes into the bedroom, tries to lower the volume and tries to watch the video ever so slyly. But I follow her and bust her and then she says, 'But I clicked the video by mistake. I don't want to watch it. Really'.

The peppa pig videos are annoying as well, but she learnt to play 'Snap' from it, also her manners have improved in a proper British way, so the humour (which I don't get) and the slightly bothersome tone of the whole show is a small price to pay.

So while on weekends the kid is virtually non-existent, on weekdays, she is forced to make polite conversation with the older people of the house, meaning the hubby and me.
Yesterday while cooking dinner she asked, 'Mama, who is the boss of the house?'
Me: 'Who do you think is the boss of the house?'
Always better to check first about what they think.
Kid: 'You are the boss of the house, aren't you?'
Me (with my ego now fed and secretly smiling): 'Why do you say that?'
Kid: 'Because you cook the food!'

It was a bit ironic because yesterday the hubby actually offered to cook the main dish, while I was making chapathis (one type of Indian flat bread - just in case there are international readers).
Of course I should have given her high five said, 'Right on babe! Mama is the boss'
But you know sometimes I just have to do (or say) the right thing and I hate it.
Me: 'You know babe there is no Boss of the house. We all take care of the house.'

But later when I was telling the hubby what to do with his dish; hey I don't poke my nose in someone else's business, we were trying to determine if the dish was done or not and I was trying to tell him succinctly that it was done and if we cooked it any further it would turn to mush. So I must have looked a tad hysterical when I repeatedly said, 'Turn it off, turn it off'.
Anyway, while we were deliberating, the kid then quite vehemently told the hubby to listen to me, apparently coz I knew better, and may be was also louder.
Kid: 'Listen to Mama, Dada. She knows what to do. Just listen to her!'

I see signs of a feminist uprising in the household. In a few years we'll know who really is the boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)