Sunday, January 04, 2015

Our Søndags Tur

River walk. Awesome. Exhausted. Indian Food. Too full. Can't walk. Happy. Sleepy. Dopey.
Ok now it looks like I'm naming dwarves. When you've eaten too much, even talking in sentences can be painful. But I'll try.

So the whole family (Headcount:3) miraculously managed to get out of the house today into the cold (-1 degree centigrade) and go for a walk.
It was a lovely sunny day, it's been like that for a few days now, meaning this has melted all the Christmas snow and we have nasty patches of ice waiting for you to slip on, break a hip and provide comic relief, probably also shock some passers-by (have you seen me fall?). I didn't fall today but the nasty ice got the better of me before Christmas. Luckily my hip was protected by, I'm guessing cellulite? Also it helped that my jacket was heavily padded.

So we went walking along this river called Akerselva (google will give you the facts) and though being winter was still a beautiful walking path.
And it shows how often we go out on walks like this, because my 5 year old's incessant question throughout the walk was 'When are we getting to the restaurant?!'
We had to tell her that we were in fact going for a walk and yes the restaurant would come, but later. She then feigned sleepiness and when questioned how would she go to the restaurant if she was sleepy, the sleep disappeared instantly.

It's customary, actually a tradition for Norwegian families to go out on a Sunday. They call it søndags tur which means Sunday trip (in a way). Apparently if you don't go for a søndags tur every Sunday with your kids, you're quickly losing points on that best parent award.
One parent I spoke to said she would feel very guilty if she was home on a Sunday and missed søndags tur with her son. The whole concept of staying home on a Sunday is frowned upon. Our Sunday tur backlog is so much that, let's just say if there was a police for this sort of thing we would be serving a life sentence and not even be let out for good behaviour.

Our reward however for going out on a walk today was some good Indian food. North Indian food. Because I make 'my good Indian food' at home, its probably just not another Indian's good Indian food. Mangalorean cuisine is a bit unique, not everyone can get over the amount of coconut we use, and I guess we use our spices differently. Contrary to popular belief, I do cook at home, but we love to eat out too and that hasn't changed from being in India to here.
Also, if I want to eat Gosht Jalfrezi  (this is not the one that haunts you, its what Lamb is called in Hindi? probably a borrowed word from Urdu) the easiest way to do it is to hop in to your nearest Indian Restaurant (even in India).

Ok, before I start naming dwarves again, until tomorrow, vi ses! (translate from norwegian to english)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)