Friday, January 16, 2015

Walking on Ice

Yesterday's weather forecast was snow, and well it's always nice to have snow as long as it stays snow. And even though I wore my good boots (by that I mean, feminine looking and not waterproof) to work, I thought it wouldn't be that bad walking in them in the snow.
But no, meteorologists failed to announce to us that this snow would fast turn into rain and the snow which had laced, more like blanketed, footpaths and walkways would now be looking like the disgusting machine drink that kids love so much, only this color was not neon blue or shocking pink.

So on my way home from work I had to reluctantly place my feet (alongwith my boots) in almost ankle high slush. There was just no escaping this potential hazard to the leather on my boots. Yes, that's all I could think of while squelching through the melted snow. But I got home with very wet feet and no further incident and hopefully my boots have forgiven me for putting them through that ordeal.

This morning however, was what you could describe as the Ice Queen exploding.  Of course, after yesterday's snow and rain, temperatures had to drop just enough to create ice. Let's see Hammer singing to this.
It's one thing to walk in slushy snow with pretty boots but a different game when you get out the big ugly 'I can withstand a snow storm' shoes also known as winter boots.

When you're experiencing winter for the first time (yeah whatever you say, there is no such thing as winter in South India) you look for the most practical gear; a jacket that will keep you warm in -30, shoes that are waterproof and that will keep you warm in -30, a cap that is windproof, gloves that are waterproof, windproof and durable.
What this means is, once you get dressed to go out and experience the winter you're
a) looking like a dork
b) not able to move freely enough and are now walking like a cross between the michelin man and a duck
c) actually now too hot, because it never hits -30 in the city.

Anyway, coming back to this morning, out came the mother of all winter boots. And when you wear these kind of boots, because these are the right kind of boots to wear in this weather, you have this sense of confidence that since you're wearing the right stuff, you're protected and also may be feel a hint of invincibility. That feeling shot me down twice.

I was running late today and have to take two buses to work. I had exactly 3 minutes to get from stop A to stop B, didn't pay any attention to the driver's warning about ice and what do you know. Yes, I fell, which I have already confirmed, in a previous post, is not a pretty sight. Then this one guy helped me up, I really dont know where he came from, asked me if I was ok, me still trying to get to stop B thanked him briefly may be even sounded curt, said I'm ok and dashed off again. So leaving behind a slightly annoyed norwegian (due to my lack of graciousness) with the left calf of my jeans wet, I managed to catch the bus.

The further away you get from the city the icier it gets. Strike Two. I fell just after I crossed the road, once I got off the bus.
You know there's a moment when you know you're going to fall and that there's no use fighting it, you just have to take the fall. Right calf now wet, at least my jeans now looked symmetrical, and people would not wonder if I couldn't hold my water, I treaded carefully to work. I have seen old ladies with walking sticks and spikes in their shoes walk faster than me.

Time to shop for spikes and may be a stick? People will at least be telling me how wonderful I look for my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)