Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Are you Charlie? Are you really now?

So I have been out of action for a few days, the family bug finally got to me,  I am actually talking about the virus that was hovering around our house during the Christmas vacation like a dementor sucking out all the happiness out of us (yes the angel of doom has a new name). It evaded me during the vacation , because I guess it was happy with the other two. However, it couldn't resist fresh feed in the new year, and I fell victim, just a little bit though, I didn't have it as bad as the other two.

Now I always get into trouble when I comment on current events, happenings and politics. But apparently now people are saying that they are Charlie and that irks me.
By now you should know that I am cynical.

Also, I get it that people want to standup for the events that happened in Paris. And no one should be killed for expressing themselves. But by saying that you're Charlie, in French, you're telling me that you absolutely support freedom of expression to the point that you will not be offended if someone calls you an asshole and also, that you speak French. See cynical.

But that's what it is about isn't it? So if have changed the status on your social networking site claiming that you are Charlie, in French (you're forgiven if you actually speak the language, but just a tad) and you don't have a problem if someone expresses themselves and implies that you are in fact an opening at the end of a digestive tract, the dodgy end, then fine; that or if you have published a provocative controversial article. Then go ahead and call yourself Charlie, in French or Swahili or Arabic (irony), because you're a true supporter of freedom of expression.
Else, please stop this charade, it's downright annoying.

I don't even want to go down the road of the whole 'Freedom of Expression' thing, at least not now. May be in another blog. In short, it's a myth. Unless we all shed our prejudices, egos, delusions of morality and other factors, which will result in a long list, we're not going to have our 'Freedom of Expression' in a very long time

And now there's another name doing the rounds, which is Ahmed. If you haven't stood up and protected someone when there has been impending danger that you knew about, you get the drift. Stop calling yourself a national hero, for Ahmed's sake.

2 comments:

  1. Gr8 post. Freedom of expression must have limits, the Indian constitution provides for it in Art 19. But the thing is if someone hurts you through his / her offensive publication / speech, you cant go around killing people ..... we are supposed to be civilized ?? for God sake. The mass support for Charlie is a result of the killings ...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely condemn the act. And support the victims by all means. It's the Je Suis Charlie which is a huge irk factor for me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message. :)