Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Funky Smells and The Green Movement

Disclaimer: My mention of The Green Movement has nothing to with politics or political parties in certain countries, I am just a girl who is quite environmental friendly talking about garbage.

When I got home today there was this funky smell; which was also there yesterday but thought I had gotten rid of by taking out the trash. Yes some women do take out the trash, in the cold mind you, at the risk of frost bite, shuffling through the heavy snow, breaking through the chilling wind (That was my drama queen moment of the day)

Since I had gotten rid of the incorrect source (of the funky smell) I had to investigate a little more. So I started (and stopped) by looking in my fridge. Now I am not sure how bad smell can get out of the refrigerator if the damned thing is closed, but there were a number of items that could have collectively caused the aforesaid smell.

Investigation revealed 2 chicken fillets in an opened packet, with suspicious spots which looked a lot like acne, on a teenager who had just broken out. These I think were opened a week ago and in official terms were unfit for consumption. Couldn't risk a curry with them, so in the green bin they went. Yes we recycle food waste.

When I dug a little more I found half a cucumber. In its decomposed state, it looked like The Hulk had done his business in my refrigerator. Into the green bin it went too.

There was a bag of spinach which I made the mistake of opening. When you open sealed bags of 'what's on its way of becoming organic waste', my advice, get rid of them in their sealed state. Now that the questionable bag of spinach was opened, it joined the others in the green bin.

I also found a lonely stick of lemon grass and a handful of mushrooms, in a very 'unfit for consumption' state. With all the things I put in the green bin, I could concoct a very dubious chicken stew. Just saying.

Now you would think that vegetables which reside in the vegetable basket of the refrigerator would remain fresh forever. When I looked in there, there was a cauliflower wrapped in cellophane (to maintain freshness I'm guessing). Since I was throwing out most of the items in my refrigerator, the discovery of this ingredient was thriving with prospects.With hopes of turning this into a dish, I unwrapped the sad bastard, to find that certain micro-organisms had taken a liking to my cauliflower and seemed to have built an association with it. Really? Fungus on a cauliflower? At first it looked superficial so I thought I could still have my dish by salvaging the good parts. But the fungus had gone deep, so into the green bin this went too.

I think I have now finally gotten rid of the funky smell. My refrigerator is definitely cleaner and leaner. And with my substantial contribution to the organic energy movement, I can tick off my good deed for the day.

PS: I managed to make an egg curry, and guess where the eggshells went. Yes, more to the green movement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)