Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Sure Case for Alzheimer's

I am convinced that I am a sure case for Alzheimer's , if not now then definitely in the next ten years. Let me narrate a small incident.
When I was back in Bangalore and was all enthusiastic about cooking (which is quite rare) I ordered some groceries from the grocer which included a kilo of potatoes. Now, after I had ordered I suddenly remembered that I had in fact picked up a kilo of potatoes about five days ago from the supermarket. Well, if you're thinking that this unnerved me, you're wrong.
So I looked into the small box where I store supplies and I couldn't find it. "Oh I must've cooked them then. But what and when?" I went through what I cooked over the past 5 days, and nope nothing with potatoes. Now, I was on the verge of wondering if I was crazy; didn't cook them and can't find them, how could they have disappeared suddenly. Heavy rummaging in the kitchen for about 20 mins and just short of looking into the garbage when it struck me that two days ago I had made pakodas with the damned potatoes. Now that the mystery was solved I was glad that I was not going crazy, but I realised that this kind of memory loss was bizarre. It might seem like nothing when I am writing about it but in those 20 mins I suffered a mini panic attack worried that if this carried on I could well be on my way to the loony bin.
And this was just one incident.
In my family I am known as the one who does not remember anything. Conversations, events are all beyond my recollection unless they have had some impact.
Another reason, people probably think I am rude for not recognising them. Sometimes faces and names just don't ring a bell, unless they've been nasty or extremely good to me.
Also, though I'd like to think I am quite eloquent there are times when I am struggling to get finish a sentence, obviously sounding like a retard, because I've just forgotten a word that I use everyday.
So I am hoping that my brain miraculously develops a better memory and I'll hopefully remember my husband when I am 40 and wrinkled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)