Saturday, January 24, 2009

Slumdogs and Millionaires

I was trying to keep away from writing about 'Slumdog Millionaire', because knowing me I would probably be etching the whole plot in my blog and then that wouldn't be fair to those who haven't watched the movie.
I loved this movie. I thought it was very entertaining and had all the elements a good movie should contain.
But then with all success also comes some flak and criticism, which is coming this movie's way in abundance.
The fact that this very "indian" movie has been directed by a "gora" has not gone down well with many. Why should it matter? It is art after all. Danny Boyle saw a good story (Q&A by VikasSwarup) and decided to make a movie out of it.
There is another debate going on about how India, which is an emerging superpower, is being portrayed. Definitely we cannot deny that poverty does exist in India. Agreed, we might be an emerging 'superpower' (or that's what we'd like to think, we might have to wait a while till we set our system right and get rid off corruption). So why then are so many condoning this portrayal of slums in a movie?
Is this the real India? I'd say, the slums are very much a part of India. There is a small slum dwelling just outside my apartment in Bangalore. Some people have set up their tents on land they don't own and know that someday they will have to leave. But one day I saw that the tent had disappeared and instead a crude concrete structure was built, illegal no doubt. Some mornings I would see the slum kids playing about with things salvaged from rubbish. The kids were friendly with the stray dogs who wagged their tales happily when they were called out to.
While I was sipping my evening coffee in my balcony, these were the people taking their plastic pots and buckets to the common tap filling it with water for cooking and bathing. Isn't this diversity? All I had to do was turn on the tap in my house, no lugging, no spilling, no sweat. And all this just about 200 metres away from apartment building.
So why does one movie about the slums in India need to be debated?
The world does know about the Murthys and Premjis and now for adverse reasons the Rajus. India has been in the news for many reasons recently; the Mumbai attack, the Satyam case. Though I must say that 'Jamal' is probably more famous than 'Raju' here (in England).
Anyway, while there are slums and slum dwellers, there are also millionaires. Ambanis, Tatas, Birlas all these business people have been getting richer, not that it's a bad thing to be rich. But India has millionaires, some of who have made it to the top list of World's Richest People. These facts are never debated, by the way or probably are by social workers who think that the richest can up their donation amounts so a few more children could have shelter, clothing and food.
And in between all this, there are people like us. Who are happy to have our jobs, go about our daily chores and write into our blog.
But we all co-exist, don't we? Isn't this the real India then?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)