Thursday, December 18, 2008

Census and Sensibility

A few minutes ago two ladies were at my door for the Education census.
First question, "Who is the head of the family"
And I was thinking, we follow a very linear family system here, there is no monarchy or hierarchy or dictatorship. We try to be as democratic in our approach as we can.
Me: "Umm" (still thinking of what should I say)
Census Lady: "Who is the owner of the house?"
Me: "Well, this is a rented place." Ok, so I have never been asked questions like these before.
Census Lady: (now seeming a little unnerved and probably thinking I am really stupid) "Head of the family, your husband or any one?"
So one look at me and she assumed I was married, excellent! You can't be fat and unmarried you know.
Me: "It's Santhosh Kumar"
Census Lady: "Religion?"
Me: "Umm"
Census Lady: (before I could answer or ask another stupid question) "Hindu, you are Hindu no?"
Me: "No, my husband is Hindu and I am Christian"
Now, for all government purposes I am probably Christian because that's what it says on my birth certificate. So an answer like "Sorry, I don't have any religion. I am born Catholic but I am not a practising Catholic" will not satisfy anybody and definitely not the census lady.
Census Lady: "So should I put Christian?"
Me: Now that his name was on the sheet of paper... "No, you can write Hindu, because he's Hindu."
Census Lady: "Children?"
Me: "No children."
Census Lady: "Ok madam, thank you very much. This was just an education census so we need to ask you these details"
Me: " Not a problem, thank you. Bye"

So the poor lady cannot be blamed for asking me the questions she did, she was just doing her job. And there are other such government surveys which are conducted, with questions which were formed pre-independence and still queried for statistical extrapolation.
We have to accept that the Indian society is driven by religion. It is ridiculous but it is a fact.
In every form we fill out we have to write in our religion and caste. What difference does it make to me? It just reminds me that I was born a Christian and have to just stop myself from writing an essay on how I don't follow any religion.
So do you think that there will ever be a day when the government will not ask me what religion I belong to? I hope so.
Because as my Facebook status says, I am "spiritual but not religious"

- Kavisha Pinto

4 comments:

  1. hahahah.. facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  2. too much time on your hands eh? Hows it being surrounded by family? I'm about to find out myself..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I am understanding the problem of religion, caste etc nowadays... The dirty faces thrown because of these indifferences may die with the growth of corporate culture. But cant say the same in the rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha..so I guess she didnt ask anything related to your education details :P

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message. :)