Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Coffee Shop Talk

Just when I thought I'd be posting regularly here. Oh well, old habits die hard. Also, I think this old blog needs a new look. It's oh so coffee shop, all beige and warm and so cosy that you can sit there all day lost in a book drinking a large cup of extra hot coffee that will last you long enough to keep you contained in the chair which is actually a mini couch. Err, I'm sorry, I guess I am in love with coffee shops and small cafes and that is why I haven't had the heart to change the way this page looks. And these kind of ruminations give rise to uncomfortably long sentences.


Do you enjoy your melancholy time in a coffee shop or have had that now lost pleasure and miss it? I know I have and do I miss it. Come to think of it, my daughter and husband are both gone during the day, I can brew myself a mean cup of coffee, I have a fairly comfortable couch and books all around. Why then do I not get that "feeling". Do you know what I'm talking about or is this just nonsensical babble to you. I know I'd be happier reading my book in that coffee shop than at home. But nowadays, that coffee shop is a far cry even though one just opened next door (I'm not making this up) and the majority of my reading is done in the public transport and my comfortable bed which puts me to sleep before I have read two pages, ok maybe fifteen, but that's not enough reading for a day.

One year, which was a long time ago, I was at Starbucks almost every weekend, eyeing my favourite chair while I waited to get my coffee and sandwich. I didn't think Starbucks made the best coffee, but it provided me with the most suitable ambience. It had the lovely smells, the best couches, tiny enough to be cosy and large enough not to be stamped on while the new guy goes scouting for a seat.

Have you heard about the "Starbucks Posers", apparently they are the ones who bring their work to the coffee shop, drinking their coffee and pretending to work. I hope we bookworms are not on that list. 

Today as I was just getting out of the mall, I saw the familiar lady against the green background. I know there is no Starbucks in Oslo, but there was no mistaking this lady. I had to make a choice between picking up Kicky from kindergarten and checking out the newly opened coffee place. Of course, I was going to pick Kicky. I checked the Internet once I got home and it was true. Starbucks was here. 

Does that mean I am going to be have a tryst every weekend with a tall, extra hot, cappuccino? Not likely, but it warrants one visit for old time's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message. :)